Removing entry from DNS lease

So a quick follow up to this post in setting up a local dns server;  I ran into an issue where one of my clients couldn’t get an IP address, but one was stuck in the /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.lease file.

I tried restarting the dnsmasq service on dnsserver as well as restarting the networking service on the client and various combinations to no avail.

The magic sequence appears to be;

  1. client – stop the networking service
  2. dnsserver – stop the dnsmasq service
  3. dnsserver – delete the offending entry from /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.lease file
  4. dnsserver -restart the dnsmasq service
  5. client – start the networking service/release/renew IP

Presto!

Leave a Reply