Kossel Mini build : Part 0 – a brief explanation of intent and also sources where I got the parts
Since the last post, I have received the plastic parts:
With the almost all the components at hand, I started to build the top potion of the frame, as that seemed simple enough to get started. The other reason for starting at the top is that this seemed to require the least amount of parts to get something that I can put aside.
I needed to get the following(this is from using the build instruction PDF from blomker.com)
- 3 x top plastic pieces
- 3 x 240 mm extrusions
- 15 x M3x8mm screws
- 15 x M3 nuts
- 12 x M3 washers
- 6 x F623ZZ Flanged Bearings(if you bought the nuts and bolts pouch from Tri D Printing, then it’s all the flanged bearings that came with it)
- 3 x M3x25mm screws
The easy way to go about it is to divide everything evenly into 3 groups, where each group consists of;
- 1 x top plastic pieces
- 1 x 240 mm extrusions
- 5 x M3x8mm screws
- 5 x M3 nuts
- 4 x M3 washers
- 2 x F623ZZ Flanged Bearings(if you bought the nuts and bolts pouch from Tri D Printing, then it’s all the flanged bearings that came with it)
- 1 x M3x25mm screws
(you get the point)
First, I found that the circular tab actually interferes with the extrusion, so I removed them:
Put 5 of M3x8mm screws with 5 M3 nuts on the plastic piece
The M3 nuts should be on with plenty of slack in order for the extrusion to slide between the M3 nut and the plastic piece.
The tricky thing with creating a triangle is the approach – so, taking the advice from Blomker, I’ve built what appears to be, a plastic hatchet. Three of them.
Assembling them requires getting the first M3 nut in the slot on the extrusion.
When all three have the first M3 nut in place, it becomes easier to slide it into second M3 nut and form a triangle. As you can see in the pictures, I’ve already installed the bearing, but this is what goes into putting one together:
I was able to work in the M3x25mm screw into the plastic then put 1 M3 washer, 2 F623ZZ Flanged Bearings (the flanges away from each other), and then I was able to put 2 M3 washer and 1 M3 nut. It was a tight fit, and I found that the bearings had some slack to move on the screw. So, I took it apart and carefully worked in the 4th M3 washer.
I was careful and managed to get it all in, and the end result is that the bearings stay fixed.
Now, I close up the hatchets and tighten all the screws.
This actually took longer than I initially expected, but at least now I can leave this aside to work on the rods(just from reading the description, it involves adhesives and such), stay tuned!